Role: Product Manager
Language: English and German (ideally)
Location: Berlin but remote in Germany also an option
Duration: 3 to 6 months
Start Date: As soon as possible
What this job offers you?
Our client offers a solution for secure, open decentralised communication. It is an all-in-one secure chat app for teams, friends and organisations. Their mission is to make messaging as open as email- allowing everyone to choose where their data is hosted, enjoy private conversations and ultimately be in control of their own communication.
They build open alternatives to apps like WhatsApp, Slack, Teams and more. They are working towards gaining traction in personal messaging. They care about diversity, equity and inclusion and are all about building inclusive products for everyone. They are also well aware that this cannot be achieved without a diverse team. Their hiring process is designed to be respectful and give candidates the best chance to showcase what you can do. They welcome feedback about their hiring process!
As a freelance Product Manager joining the team, you will be working closely with their VP of Product and other senior stakeholders, while supporting cross-functional product teams. You'll be tasked with improving the functionality and value of their products to help democratise proven, powerful technology to benefit everyone. They are interested in talking to people with a broad range of experience- they care most about your skills, spirit, and ability to contribute.
You will be:
- Champion the user, prioritising above all else that the apps are fit for purpose and work delightfully for end users
- Test ideas with users, and measure results on production to ensure goals are being achieved
- Ensure they are building the right things, by using a mixture of research, analysis and product sense
- Spearhead new features and concepts which balance vision, craft, speed and potential
- Iterate on existing features and implementations to ensure they're usable by everyone and accessible to all
- Work closely with Product, Sales, Professional Services teams and other senior stakeholders to better understand the needs and wants of their diverse userbase- using this to help shape the product roadmap
- Use a mix of research and innate nous to prioritise, plan and scope product features
- Maintain backlogs, stack ranking opportunity cost with impact, to ensure they're always reaching for the most impactful things
- Be a 'partner in crime' for all of product, design and engineering in cross-functional product teams to ideate, kickstart and drive things to the finish line
- Validate ideas and opportunities, turning opinions into data
- Set key metrics, tracking and monitoring them with teams and stakeholders
- Drive product thinking across the company whilst maximising the impact of all decision making
- Identify the users' needs before they do- you care just as much about what their users don't tell us than what they do
Ideally you will:
- 3+ years of proving your skills in your craft
- Track record of shipping products which users love, with bonus points for previously working on messaging products, consumer-facing SaaS platforms or open source technologies
- Experience using both quantitative and qualitative research methods and know when to reach for which
- Experience with working with other stakeholders and departments from product marketing, to sales and support
- Collaborative cross-functional skills- understanding how to steer disciplines like engineering, design, product, sales and support to work together towards strategic objectives
- Experience shipping early and often, working closely with technical leads and delivery managers
- Technical aptitude. While this isn't an engineering role, you should be able to untangle technical concepts and inform discussions rooted in technically complex problems
- Top-notch organisation and multi-tasking skills, used to meet tight deadlines and handle multiple projects
- You're obsessed with raising the quality bar
- Fluent/native German as well as strong English skills is most ideal
What they can offer:
Working on highly visible projects: their early adopters are in the tens of millions and almost all of our work is open source and they receive regular feedback from their community of users. They're figuring out how to best practise 'open design' in open source and you'll be able to help shape that. They also speak regularly at conferences, meetups and talks. Their general approach is to treat people like adults and acknowledge that by being flexible they create an environment for people to do their best work. Some of the other offerings include:
- Flexible remote working policy
- Since their technology is relevant to anything that requires real-time comms, the role provides exposure to a wide range of domains from web and app dev through to VR, VoIP and IoT.
- Generous holiday allowance, private healthcare for you and your family and opportunities for development and progression as they scale
- Family friendly environment; many of the team have small children and they look to accommodate that as best they can
Sounds like you? Apply here and we will have a call to discuss the specifics if you profile is a match!
At Talent, we lead the way when it comes to diversity and inclusion hiring practices. We strive to help our clients build their teams - creating diverse and inclusive cultures. With our human centric approach to recruitment, we are committed to hiring, developing and retaining exceptional people regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity. Put simply, we give a damn.